Thursday 3 March 2011

Blocking a blog

.
Sitting in Antakya trying to access my own blog I got this error message: Bu siteye erişim mahkeme kararıyla engellenmiştir. Meaning: This web site has been blocked by court order.

I started to wonder what I had written that might offend Turkish authorities. Then I found out that it was not my blog only but the entire blogspot.com that had been blocked in Turkey. The reason seems to be that somebody has used the site for illegal purposes. In Turkey this was a front page story yesterday. One of the papers sarcastically wrote: Why not close down all the internet to be on the safe side!

Unfortunately it is not unusual in this part of the world to "apply iodine to all the body" - even if this procedure includes doing injustice to innocent people. The only thing you can do is to wait patiently until the problem is solved - in case you cannot find other ways to evade the obstruction.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment